Thursday, February 6, 2014

What is dance?

      This is my first blog post and I'm excited to start something new and share what I have learned with you! This blog is going to be about dance (if you couldn't tell). I'm  going to be blogging about the different types of dance, the technique of it all and everything in between.
     Dancing is something that takes a lot of dedication, time and effort, just like other sports do. Dance is a very meticulous art, and has much detail put into it. There are many types of dance from ballet to hip hop, jazz, contemporary and so much more. I will be mentioning all the different types of dance in future blogs to come! 
      In the Dictionary the definition for dance is,"move rhythmically to music, typically following a sequence of steps". That definition gives dance a general statement but for me it is much more than that. Dancing is a way for me to let go and relieve all the stress that I have. I am able to have fun and be creative and express myself. I love dancing and I have been dancing since I was very little. I am a company dancer and I go to dance competitions and conventions (which I will also blog about). 
     That is all I have for today! I will have another post up by tomorrow! 

Question: Do you think dance is a sport or an art or both? 

5 comments:

  1. Good start to what seems like will be a great blog! The way you described what dance is to you rather than what it is stated as in the dictionary is really creative and gives me a better idea about what dance is really about! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dedication you have towards dance! Looks like you really love it. Your own definition of dance really shows your passion for it, and it is great! Maybe after reading this, I might get in interest in dance as well! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say that dance is both a sport and an art form. The physically pain we put ourselves through is equivalent to a football player or hockey player. I mean we dance on our toes! That is painful enough plus, we can't show if we are in pain, we must smile unlike that football player that sits on the field holding their ankle because they twisted it. I know I have danced through a performance on a twisted ankle and smiled the whole time. No pain, no gain!
    Yet dance is an art form because we create our piece off of events or experiences that inspire us. We can move an audience to laugh, cry, or sit in confusion just based on our movement with no words to assist us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree!! As dancers we use all the muscles in our body! Wow, that is amazing you danced all the way through a performance with a twisted ankle! Dance is a great mix of both! I love when I understand the story that a dance is telling! Thank you so much again!

    ReplyDelete