Friday, February 7, 2014

The Start of it All

            Well, if you're reading this blog there is a good chance you're a dancer, if you're not this could be where you begin(or you could be reading for enjoyment or if you are bored). It starts by choosing a dance studio that you want to go to, whether your friends go there, or the studio gets really great reviews. When you sign up for classes you are going to need dance wear. You would have to go to a dance shoe store and by the proper shoes. Some studio have particular brand names of shoes, and there are many. From Capezio, Freed ( favorite brand for pointe shoes), Bloch and many more depending on what kinds of shoes you need.  There are ballet shoes, tap shoes, jazz shoes, sneakers, point shoes and character shoes! The main color of jazz and tap shoes are black to tan and ballet and pointe shoes are pink. 
   
     Besides all the shoes, shoes and more shoes you also need particular clothing items for dance. For dance studios there are different types of dress codes. For a general idea, I will tell you what I have seen most people wear to dance classes. To ballet class most dancers wear pink ballet tights, a leotard a skirt and ballet slippers and hair slicked back in a tight pony tail or a bun (as a dancer you learn to do hair pretty well, and in a fast way). For other classes you may need shorts, spandex, sports bras, tank tops, and depending on what class certain color tights. 

     Now all that can be pretty overwhelming but depending what class or classes you take you only those items(unless you take all of them)! After starting this you are going need to put all this stuff somewhere. You can keep a dance bag to carry all your shoes in and any extra dance clothes! Make sure to always have a water in your bag as well and have fun with the start of dance (if you haven't started). My next post will be on all the things to keep in your dance bag and the what the style of Jazz is. 

Question: What is your favorite style of dance or what style seems interesting to you?

3 comments:

  1. Thats Awesome !!! I love hip hop and ballet ! I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    So as a fellow dancer I can honestly say I have more dance shoes and dance clothes then actual clothing. It's a very sad reality. I have enough leotards to give out to multiple ballet classes, but it happens when you are a bunhead.
    My favorite style has changed over the years. Right now I love the modern style of Lester Horton. If you don't know about him look him up. I love his technique because it's so different from ballet and challenges me to try someone totally out of my box. Here is a video that show's a warm-up that would be done in his class. Hope you check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGKClA27FI4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am the same! I have so many dance clothes as well, It is probably half of my wardrobe!! A lot of dancers love the dance wear store Lululemon Athletica and also the online store Jo and Jax ! Thank you so much for that link! I am going to look at it now! I love warming up in the beginning of class and I find it more relaxing.
    Thank you so much again!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete