Friday, March 21, 2014

Competitive Side

           Well last weekend I was at a Dance Competition. The competition my studio attended was Leap. Competition for dancers is where you compete your group,solo,duo or trio number. When you compete you compete against other dance studios and dancers that are in your age group. I really enjoy competitions and seeing the other dance numbers. In this post I'm going to talk about the experience I had last weekend.
              At competition I performed in group numbers. I was in a tap,jazz,lyrical, hip hop and a production number. With group numbers you have to be all together and if you are telling a story, to get that point across which isn't always easy. In a competition there are always judges but don't get nervous because they are watching,just enjoy the time you have on stage. If you get nervous before going on stage it is normal and always happens! It goes away by the time you get on stage and you have all this excited energy!

The Dances
             
          My favorite group number is a Jazz/contemporary number that we perform. It is a very powerful piece, that shows the struggle of slavery and what they went through. For the competition we did the best in this number. This costume was white and worked well with the piece. We also performed lyrical, which had a story line as well. It is about love and how that love between the couple isn't there anymore. The lyrical piece is my second favorite number to perform. In lyrical we wear the color sea foam green, which is really pretty and is a dress. Then there is our hip hop number. Our hip hop number is fun and has a variety of songs in it from Beyonce to Justin Timberlake. In hip hop everyone has their own style and that is what I love about this dance. We are able to have a good time and enjoy this number. Tap was our last group number that we did to the song Super Stition. For tap the judges look and listen for all of the sounds you make with the tap shoes. I find tap to be difficult so I have to really work on it. Lastly, production, this is when many dancers from your studio dance together (can be from all ages).This year it was army themed. Working with a big group can be difficult and getting everyone on the same timing can be hard as well. Production is one piece that takes a lot of time to put together.
            Overall competition weekend went great, but it isn't all about winning! It is important to learn from the experience, and becoming a better individual dancer and to just enjoy dancing.

Here is a link to the leap page
Have a great weekend!
                                       

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    I hope you don't mind my commenting, I am a graduate student at Saint Joseph College in West Hartford and am learning about blogging. I chose your blog because I used to dance and can appreciate all your hard work. The Dance Company I belonged to performed at Disney in addition to the yearly recitals. It sounds as if you have a lot of fun with your dance group. I know how much time and energy goes into each dance, and to have dances for various styles is that much more work.
    I think the Leap competitions are exciting and am glad to hear you are learning and growing from the experience.
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,

      I love getting comments and I really appreciate the time you take to read my blog!! That is so cool you perform at Disney!! I was down at disney last year with my dance squad and we danced down Main street with our school's marching band. Dancing is a lot of time and energy but I enjoy it! I have made such great friends at dance who are now like my family! Thank you so much again!
      Ashley

      Delete
  2. Hi Ashley!
    Leap is another great competition to attend. I'm glad to see you had fun and go to enjoy some of the other dance groups that attended. I think the Jazz contemporary number would have been a favorite of mine. I love pieces that have a strong meaning behind the movement.
    Your right competitions are not all about winning. The experience you gain from just being there cannot be explained. Ideas are born, new movement discovered, and the love for dance just keeps growing.
    Have a great week!
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meghan,
      Thank you for reading this blog post! Pieces that have a strong meaning are a favorite of mine as well. And I feel the exact same way about competitions too!!
      Have a great week,
      Ashley

      Delete